eBook download

Military Medics

The history of the British Military medic is well documented with various specialist websites, which is split into Navy, Army and RAF. The purpose of this page is not to look into the past but in to the future and to help guide the current Military Medic into civilian life.

The best advice I can offer any medic is to start resettling as soon as you join the forces, do every course you can get your hands on. Get your certificate and keep the course syllabus and testing criteria and keep an up to date portfolio. The military is more than happy to have you on courses, keep pushing for them, because once you leave the military even a one day essential clinical update in any ambulance takes lots of time and effort to get on.  You are either going to want to be an Emergency Care Assistant or Paramedic and direct entry is quite hard, However there are other ways which are explained in more detail in the ECA download.

Whether your an RMA, CMT, RCMT, LMA,MA, RAF Medic or RAF Paramedic the best course to do is your C1 driving course, the military will pay for it, on the outside it costs around £1000. If you passed your driving test before January 2007 you will have the C1 entitlement already on your licence. There are many problems that face the ex military medic but by far this is the easiest one to sort.

Unless you are a HCPC Paramedic you will not get a job as a Paramedic with either the NHS or Private providers. THAT’S FACT.  There is no use fighting or complaining, the best thing you can do is try and get your HCPC Paramedic through the military, which is very very hard.

I know your thinking “but I have done 2 tours of Iraq and 3 of Afghanistan” the Ambulance Service will greet me with open arms, the sad fact is no, recruiting criteria is very strict and it’s a very different role.  Whilst there are advertisements for Ambulance staff they are getting fewer all the time, and having studied every single ambulances service entry criteria well, I have yet to see must be cool under fire, put up a tent, paint kerbs at Keogh Barracks or be able to trip out the inside of a Wolf or Saxon ambulance like inside of a Rap artists “wheels”.

Download the ECA guide there is more information that has taken years to gather, with hundreds of e-mails sent and received, Thousands of hours of research. The author was an Army Regimental Medical Assistant class one (RMA 1) and is now a HCPC Paramedic.